Monday, March 25, 2013

T-Minus One Week

It feels weird to be moving on to a different job and different home.  For the past four and a half years, I've been coming in every day to the same office, the same desk, and going home to the same house.  In a week, it'll be a new job, a new building, a new city, a new apartment.  Believe me, I am definitely ready to go, but at the same time, wow, hello different!

The final week is bound to be chaotic.  Today I need to find out about renter's insurance and pack boxes.  Tomorrow, it's electric and internet and more packing.  Wednesday, my final radio show.  Thursday, pack up the office. Friday is my second to last game with some sort of pre-game festivities.  Saturday is the final game, going out with friends, and whatever else comes up.  Sunday is the final pack and load with a drive to my brother-in-law's place in Allen.

And Monday, it all begins in earnest.  Fill out the lease, pay the down payment, and move everything in.

I'm looking forward to it.  It's a lot closer to the things I enjoy doing.  The job will be better-paying, and the hours more suitable to what I like doing in my free time.  The apartment will be pretty awesome.  And even though my wife has to stay in Wichita Falls for the time being, it's only a two-hour drive back to see her.

I've already looked into joining the Dallas-Area Browns Backers and will almost certainly be attending their draft party. Been contacted by a few people wanting to start a band.  And of course, there's hounding.  Lots of hounding starting either Friday or Saturday, April 5 or 6.  This is what I'm looking forward to perhaps not most, but at least highly on the list.

I'm going to sell some cards as well-- not signed ones, just plain ones.  For example, I really have no need for 120 cards of Matt Williams.  He's a good signer TTM and a former Indian, but 120 cards?  Let's be reasonable.  I have a ton on guys like Tony Gwynn, Nolan Ryan, Griffey, Puckett, Aikman, Joe Thornton, Lemieux, Gretzky, and about a thousand others that I'll never be able to get signed.  And when it comes to inserts, I may as well make some money on whatever I won't get signed and have no interest in keeping.  Time to get them moved out and maybe make some money for a new guitar (Thinline Telecaster, '69 style-- single coils instead of the '72 style with humbuckers-- hopefully in a three-color sunburst though I'm not overly picky on color; maybe with a Bigsby tremolo on it as well).

The countdown is on.  Here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment