Friday, November 15, 2013

A trip to the fail box

It's been a few months since I had an outright failure in TTM'ing.  Since 2007, I've sent out 684 requests. While there have been non-returns, I don't count them as abject failures.  After all, I've had 24 successes take at least a year, with the longest being over three years (Terry Pendleton). So why would I ever mark any as failures when they could still come back?

Yeah, I know, the Ovechkin request from 2007 is long gone. But still, I don't have a good place to draw the line.  So I have four categories: Successes, Still out for at least 8 months, Still out for less than 8 months, and Failures.  Fortunately, from January 2007 through October 2013, I'd only had 38 actual failures-- either via Return to Sender stamp, my items being returned unsigned, my items being signed by someone else, or the person's entrance into the realm of former personhood.

I did eventually get five of them TTM, so only 33 were total failures.

Today we can add one more to the list.  Back in September I sent out to Don Beebe, former Buffalo Bills wide receiver and straight man to Leon Lett's comedic foil in Super Bowl XXVII.  Today, my cards came back in my envelope, unsigned, with a flyer for his upcoming book.

Sorry Don. If you can't be bothered to sign a few cards, I don't think I can be bothered to read your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment